[ale] Hancom office

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Feb 7 22:17:32 EST 2002

Anyone other than me playing with Hancom Office
<http://www.hancom.com/en/>?  It's a new (to me, anyway) office suite
from Hancom in Korea.  It claims MS Offic compatibility.

I find that the word processor and the spread sheet do a pretty good
job importing office docs.  The presentation tool was only marginally
better than kpresenter, i.e. it only crashed on two of the three .ppt
files I own.  It did a not very good job of displaying the one it
didn't crash on.  On the plus side, when it crashed it did so
quickly.  Kpresenter would hang the machine for a while.  I think
mostly it leaked lots of memory.

ONce the word processor crashed hard enough to take down X!  That was
painful.  Otherwise, it seems like it will be good competition for
StarOffice.  It is not quite as stable right now, but much livelier.
SO is a dog and Hancom feels pretty nimble.  Of course, Hancom Office
isn't free, though there is a free limited time download.

Anyone else have any reactions?

--Michael

---