[ale] Compiler Upgrade

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 7 20:19:46 EST 2002

Hi Guys,
	I recently upgraded my compiler and kernel in a standard redhat 7.1 setup.
These are the first system upgrades that I've made to the system.  Everything
went fine.  I compiled the compiler (I thought this was funny) , gcc 3.0.3,
installed it. setup, compiled, and installed kernel 2.4.17 from kernel.org.
I was quite pleased with the outcome until I started compiling some other
programs.

One program in particular 'libavi'.  It configures and compiles fine but when
I go to run the executable I get:

aviplay: error while loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/libaviplay-0.6.so.0: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0

it compiled and ran fine before the compiler upgrade.  I did some research on
it and from what I read the linker is linking agains an old c++ library. If I
explicity link agains the new library ala '-lstdc++' my test programs run
fine, problem is that with programs/libraries as complex as 'libavi' simply
appending the link library won't work.

So my question is, after a compiler upgrade, how do you set up the
environment to instruct the compiler on what library to use by default?
ldconfig didn't do the trick.  I made sure the path for the new libraries
were in the config file for ld and I ran ldconfig to make sure it was updated.

Thanks.

--
Calvin...

---