[ale] Uploading to a web page

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 6 12:56:43 EST 2002

Greg wrote:
> CGI is not the only server side technology, in fact it seems pretty much
> dead as other technologies place a lesser load on the server and are
> more secure and feature rich.  ASP (not my first choice by a long shot),
> ColdFusion, JSP/servlets/java beans, and PHP are some languages (and
> there *is* a server side Javascript too). All are in my opinion easier
> than Perl,(though Perl can be used in PHP).

Damn, are we going to start this language thing again? :)

I'll say this, after porting a web based time reporting system from
server side Javascript to perl, Perl runs circles around server side
javascript. Just having the server side process running eats up cpu.
Now, I will state that my experiences with server side javascript were
on an NT box.

I would expect that apache/perl solution would work much better than
standard cgi, but I've not benchmarked it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html

---