[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Feb 4 19:45:46 EST 2002

    Benjamin> My USD$0.02...  I'm an early adopter of Java, saw a
    Benjamin> great potential in it, and have since completely
    Benjamin> abandoned it for various reasons. That said, the link's

        I wrote the book on Java.

        OK, part of a book on Java.

        Well, it was from Sams.

        But it could really hurt if you threw it at someone.

        Having said that, I have long since returned to my dark
master, Perl.

    Benjamin> contents are pure drivel and not even meaningful
    Benjamin> comparisons or criticisms. Simply a language flame. The
    Benjamin> guy loves Perl and wants to define all languages in
    Benjamin> comparison to Perl which is silly and useless.

        I'd disagree.  It is meaningful to point out that if you're
doing Java, you do it OOP and you're not given a choice (even Python
(*shudder* :) will let you get away with being somewhat procedural for
the main body of your program; at least for things on the order of
`hello world').  It's meaningful that Java enforces strong typing
(with all the benefits and hindrances that brings with it).

        While it does focus on a perl perspective (given that's what
the author uses) and some of the features are things 95% (or 99%) of
the time you probably wouldn't need.  But when you do need them,
they're not there.

        And the author pointed out that this page of JWZ's does a bit
better at getting across some of what he was trying to get across (in
a less perl-y fashion).

http://www.jwz.org/doc/java.html

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=

---