[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Feb 4 18:52:01 EST 2002

<SPAN
class=212565023-04022002>Absolutely, I'm going to post it to sourceforge as soon
as I figure CVS out.
<SPAN
class=212565023-04022002>:)  It will be sometime later this week.  If
you want to see it sooner, email me OL and I'll send you the
.tgz
<SPAN
class=212565023-04022002><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT
face=Arial color=#0000ff> -CB
<SPAN
class=212565023-04022002>
<SPAN
class=212565023-04022002> -----Original Message-----From:
Mark E. Schill [mailto:Mark.Schill at cmschill.net]Sent: Monday,
February 04, 2002 1:48 PMTo: Christopher BergeronSubject:
Re: [ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans
work
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid">Could
  I take a look at your source code??MarkChristopher
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=mid:IOEKLKGAEODGGPOJGNLDOEJCDFAA.christopher at bergeron.com
  type="cite">

    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>> <FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#000000
    size=3>What kind of work do you have to do on it?

    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>Mainly coding the interface and making it pretty
    and more functional.  Right now it's very kludgy (functional, but
    terse).  Once the interface is streamlined and therefore: sellable I'll
    be able to get to the next level.  The problem I'm at now is that I
    code in perl/GTK and some of my co-developers [sourceforge
    (project: dashpc)] want to re-do it in Java.  Java is nice because it's
    cross-platform and all, but it's slow and my interface is more responsive
    (aka: easier to sell).  We've been trying to negotiate something we all
    agree on, but each person has a different road they want to take the
    project.

    Ho
    hum.... if I'd only learned C++ in high school and not Pascal my life would
    probably be much better/simpler right now.

    do know C,C++.  However, I program in PHP and Perl at work; and I know
    +squat+ java.  I could probably pick up java easily, but I just don't
    know if my brain can handle another language...

    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>...ugh.

    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>Basically, I want someone to rewrite my code in C
    or C++ and I will give them a hefty percentage stake in my "company".
    The company is not formally established yet, however, the project is
    going to be featured on TechTV's "Screen Savers" in about 3 months (they're
    waaaaay booked out according to the booking manager).  I can't help but
    think that out of a few million viewers there might be one or two "healthy"
    investors lurking.

    would be willing to create the worlds first "Open Source Company" with this
    project (the [currently non-existent]automotive "pc" market that's expected
    to top $2 Billion in just a few years).  I really want this
    project to succeed at this point not so much for the monetary reason
    (although that is a huge motivator) but for the simple fact that I don't
    want MS to come along and "take the idea" and use their clout to put it in
    every car out there.  I would have to shoot myself if I bought a car
    equipped with "a Microsoft CE powered AutoPC unit for GPS, DVD, and
    MP3"  <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>We could call it the proverbial "kick sand in
    Microsoft's face" since as far as I'm aware M$+Clarion and myself are the
    only ones seeing that $2B potential.

    guess I'll just see how it goes and take it as I have been:  winging
    it!  Wish me luck.  It's a _huge_ goal, but if I'm going to do
    anything with this life of mine, I want it to be _big_.  My desire to
    make this (and anything I ever do) succeed is higher now than it's ever been
    (and I can thank you Osama, you f*ckhead - rot in hell).

    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>proud to be an American,
    <SPAN
    class=204373805-31012002>-CB

    <BLOCKQUOTE
    style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(0,0,255) 2px solid">
      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Mark E. Schill [<A
      class=moz-txt-link-freetext
      href="mailto:Mark.Schill at cmschill.net">mailto:Mark.Schill at cmschill.net]Sent:
      Wednesday, January 30, 2002 7:42 PMTo: Christopher
      BergeronSubject: Re: [ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving
      sans workWhat kind of work do you have to do on
      <BLOCKQUOTE cite=mid:IOEKLKGAEODGGPOJGNLDAEFFDFAA.christopher at bergeron.com
      type="cite">

        <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
        size=2>Believe it or not, I haven't looked for any funding yet!
        I'm trying to keep this project "under the radar" as it were (even
        though I get multiple-daily hits from microsoft.com).  No doubt
        they're eyeing my progress.  I just recently changed the page to
        "redirect" them to a great XXX site I know of.  I can't keep it a
        secret, but I can do my best to outperform them...

        <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
        size=2>:)
        <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
        size=2>-CB
        <BLOCKQUOTE
        style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(0,0,255) 2px solid">
          <FONT face=Tahoma
          size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Mark E. Schill [<A
          class=moz-txt-link-freetext href="mailto:Mark.Schill at cmschill.net">
          mailto:Mark.Schill at cmschill.net ]Sent: Tuesday, January
          29, 2002 9:19 PMTo: Christopher BergeronSubject:
          Re: [ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans
          workThat is a really cool product. I am supprised
          you haven't had tons of funding
          <BLOCKQUOTE
          cite=mid:IOEKLKGAEODGGPOJGNLDEEEIDFAA.christopher at bergeron.com
          type="cite">You guys are welcome to help me take the dashpc commercial.  I'm currentlycompeting alone _directly_ with microsoft's "AutoPC".  You've probably seenit, but the link is here: http://www.dashpc.com-CB
            -----Original Message-----From: Bao C. Ha [mailto:baoha at sensoria.com]Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 2:46 PMTo: lancesmith at charter.net; 'John Wells'Cc: 'Atlanta Linux User Group (E-mail)'Subject: RE: [ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans workI have a friend in Atlanta who has been building a homegateway.  He is working on the X10 stuff which cancontrol certain appliances, including heating/cooling,security systems, survellance, ...The current economic climate has prevented me fromactively participating.Maybe we carry this off-line to prevent clustering thelist.Thanks.Bao
              -----Original Message-----From: Lance Smith [mailto:lancesmith at charter.net]Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:49 AMTo: John WellsCc: 'Atlanta Linux User Group (E-mail)'Subject: Re: [ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans workI just posted a survival testimonial and a tactic that I am using. Iwould love to get more ideas to automate new and pre-existing homes. Especially if Linux can be used as the backbone.I can handle the coordination of Technology and Constructionindustries.(i.e., working with insulation/ HVAC companies to plan outsegmentationof the home to control separate room temps)Use of wireless technology tied to a home system thatsynchronizes datebooks and "stuff" though PDA or cell phones as soon as youwalk throughthe door.The ideas are many......anybody interested?<