[ale] Tomcat startup script

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 10:04:22 EST 2002

Mike Millson wrote:

> I created a Tomcat startup script from a couple sources. Seems to be
> working, just a couple questions.
>
> The script references a file called  /var/run/tomcat.pid. I don't have a on
> my system (RH 7.1, ver 2.4.9-21). Do I need to create it? It looks like it's
> just a file w/ a # in it, the process id I gather? What process id
> would/should I give tomcat?

The /var/run/tomcat.pid file is for tomcat to tell *you* what its
PID is. You cannot assign predetermined PIDs, but sometimes you need
to know the PID of a server process (to send it a signal, for
example). Many different servers write a /var/run/<servername>.pid
file when they start, so that scripts can get at the process ID.

> Also, the script references /var/lock/subsys/tomcat4, another file I don't
> have. What is that file for? Do I need to create it somehow?

No. Again, the tomcat process (whatever it is, I've never heard
of it before) will create the file if it doesn't exist, and
should delete it when it exists. If the lock file *does* exist
when the server starts, it shold refuse to run, since the
existence of the lockfile indicates that another instance
of the server is already running.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"

---