[ale] POP3 was SMTP Servers

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Dec 31 20:03:00 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 19:52, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Can someone recommend me to something that puts SMTP MTAs and POP3
> servers as well as things like Exchange into some kind of interrelated
> context?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what this company wants.  What I was told is "the
> boss would like to create a DMZ on the network and implement an SMTP
> server using Linux."  That's all the info that I have, but I assume that
> this is a place that already has Outlook/Exchange.

1) Create a "Demilitarized Zone" off the router from the internet.  This
zone should have public IP's and not be firewall protected like the
internal network.

2) Install Linux on a computer and make sure all software is up to
the latest patches.  Install RH 8.0 then immediately run up2date for
that machine.

3) Setup Sendmail for their needs.  But for this objective you need more
information.

I see 3 objectives in the statement from your boss.  I would make no
assumption about the Outlook, I would ask.