[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Mon Dec 30 16:05:46 EST 2002

Just to add to this list. A lot of the omnidirectional antennae have
something of a donut type radiation pattern so if you put it too high up,
you might overshoot areas immediately under your AP or have a weak signal.
Also, on most of the APs I've seen you can disable the broadcasting of the
SSID altogether which is probably a good idea. And where did you say
you're setting this up? :)

Ben

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Steve Long wrote:

> My suggestions are:
>
> Change to password first.
> Change the default channel.
> Change the SSID.
> Download the latest firmware and update it.
> Log the hardware addresses of the NIC's and allow only the cards you own.
> Add WEP to the highest level and try NOT to use a company or family name to
> define the key.
> For the greatest distance, physically place your transceiver high in your
> house.
> It has a range of about 300 meters.  The closer you are to it, the better
> your speed, even within the 300M.
> 802.11a has better security and speed, and a higher price.   -for now.
> The wireless routers I have seen have ports on the back for wired
> connections inside your network.
> If you use one of the DSL wireless routers, it will take the place of a
> couple of boxes on your shelf.
> I like using them because they are pretty much hassle free and they do the
> DHCP server and NAT thing for me.
>

> Steve Long  CNE, MCSE
> Sr. LAN Administrator
> CB Richard Ellis - Atlanta GA.
> (O) 404-923-1501
> (H) 770-717-0205
> (F)  928-222-9982

 Latin is a language, As dead as can be. First it killed the
Romans, And now it's killing me.