[ale] PHP SQL parser (was: DB abstraction for PHP)

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Mon Dec 30 15:25:52 EST 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, J.M. Taylor wrote:

> ...but I would think that one would have to allow for the
> features of each database or else what would be the point of going to all
> the trouble to parse the statement?

My point exactly. The problem is, unfortunately, at the source (quite
literally :)). If we could stick to a standard (any standard!) a lot of
these issues would be resolved and an abstraction layer wouldn't even be
necessary. Of course, the other side of that coin is, when you stick to
the standard you lose all those nifty extra features of database X that
are 100x faster than anything on the planet. IMO, its a valiant quest, but
one with a bitter compromise at its end. Speaking of ODBC... ;)

Ben