[ale] Mandrake in Trouble...

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sat Dec 21 15:03:57 EST 2002

On Friday 20 December 2002 06:02 pm, John Wells wrote:
> All you Mandrake users might want to pitch in.  I may throw a few bucks in
> as well in the interest of keeping another dist out there:
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/12/20/1815214.shtml?tid=147

I really have mixed feelings about this. I've been using Mandrake for
a long time, and like it.

However, according to Mandrake's page at
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/future.php3 it looks like Mandrake's
team of 'world-class managers' managed only to get Mandrake into several
million dollars worth of indebtedness, while trying to reshape the company
into something is wasn't known for and had no experience in - so-called
'e-learning'. (Something that there's apparently not a big demand for, either)

That  'experienced management team', if they were like so many others we have
heard about recently, may have managed to pocket a significant portion
of that money, or perhaps have connections to those companies who
Mandrake is now heavily in debt to.

They say they need $4 million to get back on solid ground. I say, first let
them go after that crack management team who frittered away all that venture
capital. Only if they do that will I consider sending them any more money.

Regards,
Irv