[ale] The 12 Q's of Chrismas (Cable-DSL Modem Shopping)

Steve Long stl2 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 19 14:57:33 EST 2002

I have a friend who has a brand new Linksys for $50 if you want it.

I like Linksys, I have even gotten AOL DSL (isn't that an oxymoron?) to work
on it.

I have set up a Seimen router once uneventfully but it seemed to have less
functionality that the Linksys.

I also have noticed more firmware upgrades for the Linksys that the Seimens.
You really need to get the latest firmware update for any box you get.

The Linksys box is much more popular than the Seimans and therefore you
would get more support for it.

A network magazine a couple of months ago rated the security of the Linksys
box and rated it very high.  One of the features is logging.  You have to
download a program from Linksys to read the logs but you can do it.

Both models have VPN pass-through.  You have to open ports closed by default
on the Linksys.

If you are using a cable modem you will most likely be throttled to DSL
speed anyway and your speed for multiple systems will not be controlled by
anything you own.  Try to get your own cablemodem if you can so you control
it and not the cable co. Also, it's cheaper in the long run.

I have a Linksys connected a 10/100 switch and a 10baseT hub.  I don't
notice any slowness at all.  If you think that will happen, hook your system
directly and the rest of your network to another port.  Nobody will know but
you!

Also know that these boxes only connect to TCP\IP.  You would have to hook
up a hub\switch anyway if you wanted to use another protocol.
I have a couple of Win boxes using P2P on IPX\SPX so they can share files
between each other and not across the Internet.
My son like to play ArmyMenII and it works best with IPX\SPX.

At some point we will be going wireless and for $100 you can get a
connecting point that would connect to the network.  I would hope it does
other protocols than TCP\IP.

If you go to any kind of modem from any DSL or Cable modem system avoid the
USB modems like the plague.