[ale] Posting etiquette request

Hugh Esco escocs at alltel.net
Thu Dec 19 12:54:18 EST 2002

Hey folks:

I too am a linux enthusiast.  While I write this on Eudora from a Win98
box, the application server I'm building is Debian Woody, my partner's
machine is Mandrake, and the last few machines I've built up for various
friends tend to be Debian or Mandrake, while one friend keeps urging me to
try out the disks for RH 8.0 he passed on to me.  My next upgrade for my
personal desktop will finally make the break from Windows.  But that is
several steps down the road for me yet (or at least the next major
upgrade-demanding failure).

I subscribed to this list for help on the learning curve with my new
operating system.  I don't necessarily object to a properly designated
off-topic discussion here and have found this discussion about the H1B
visas somewhat interesting, if distracting from the work piled in front of
me.  For my thoughts on that thread, please see my postscript below.

All that said, I have received thirteen posts from my digest subscription
to this list in the last twenty-four hours.  Quite a bit more than I
bargained for when I subscribed.

Now for my request:

Please refrain from quoting more than the relevant portions of previous
posts in your replies to this list.  The last digest I received a few
minutes ago was one short three line post, with a series of nested replies
to which it responded.

I suspect that I am not the only subscriber for whom this list is only one
of dozens to which they subscribe.  I suspect I am not the only subscriber
for whom my interest in linux (or even in these Off-Topic threads) is
subordinate to the real work I must do each day to clear my to-do list and
keep the bills paid.

Your consideration is appreciated.

-- Hugh Esco

P.S. [OT]       I especially appreciate Aaron's and Paula's contributions
of late on the H1B visa thread.  I would also challenge those posters
calling on us to single out for special treatment, those nations
"sponsoring terrorism" to take a long close look at the foreign policy of
the United States, especially its military adventurism, the current
administration's policy for the "pre-emptive" use of the military and its
threats of first strike nuclear war and weigh that against your
assertions.  I'd also urge folks to consider the proposition that there is
nothing wrong with this country that some strict enforcement of a
prohibition on immigration about five hundred years ago could not have
prevented.    That said, I support my (Green) Party's position (adopted by
our 2002 Macon Convention) in support of a compassionate guest worker
policy and assert that we will not build a peaceful future grounded in fear
based public policies.  Anyone interested in knowing more is urged to check
out our state Platform linked
from:  http://www.greens.org/georgia/index.shtml.