[ale] cpu underclocking

F. Grant Robertson f.g.robertson at alexiongroup.com
Wed Dec 18 17:55:21 EST 2002

I'd probably try it with the cheapest stuff you can get a hold of.. used board, proc, etc..   Another idea, you could "hack" the power supply and just drop the voltage to the fan (or install a rheostat or varisistor of some sort) so that the fan spins somewhat slower.. depending on the fan this might have a large or small effect (blade pitch will negate the advantages on some fans, making them near as loud moving slower as they are at full speed)..

Disclaimer : This is off the top (over the top?) brainstorming.. might work, might not..  If you blow anything up or hurt yourself (the inside of a power supply is not something you wanna be playing with if this is your first attempt to hack hardware), don't come crying to (or sue) me.

-g

>hey i was reading an interesting article where someone reduced the voltage
>of thier cpu and mhz lowerd the voltage to the fans and made a silent
>running pc, going from a 500 mhz pc to a 1.4 loud as #$($ pc i think id
>like to try this, anyone got any comments or suggestions? perhaps some
>good sites on this? anyone tried it themselfs? sounds like a fun server
>project, make a silent cool server :) might reduce failures?

---