[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Mon Dec 9 14:12:53 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:29:45AM -0700 Chris Ricker <kaboom at gatech.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, attriel wrote:
>
> > I like it the way it is; I want to reply to a comment, so i hit reply.  I
> > want to reply NOT to the list, i do an extra step (reply all; delete ale)
> > ... I'd assume that the majority of ale-based responses are actually going
> > back to the list, so it makes sense for that to be the default
> > functionality.
>
> But *you*, the replier, make those decisions. You can do that whether or not
> Reply-To is set....

I agree.  I think we don't need to munge the Reply-To: field.   The
sender should decide; Big Brother shouldn't try to make up his mind for
him.

I use the default Reply-To: header on other lists when the content of my
mail does not concern the list.  I just used it today to make a
*private* posting to a member of another list.

But, we're geeks.  We can figure out solutions to whatever little
problems like this arise.  Hey, if you want to munge the Reply-To field,
knock yourself out.  I won't take it personally.  If I don't like it, I'll
figure a way out to compensate if I need to--regardless of what the
"default behavior" is--using either my MTA, MDA, or MUA, or some
combination.  It's not that big a deal.  Especially since the list-admin
is doing this out of the goodness of his heart anyway.  He is, isn't he?
:-)

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net