[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Dec 9 09:31:53 EST 2002

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Sunday 08 December 2002 01:08 pm, Fletch wrote:
>
>>http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>

> I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen this referenced as if it
> were gospel.  I find it thoroughly unconvincing.
>
> IMHO, if the purpose of a list is to promote a community (as I think this
> list does) then replies should default to the list.  If not, and the
> preference is for replies to the sender, the set reply to the sender.
>
> There is a technical problem with reply to the list and that is that it may
> be hard to find some people's return address, and so it will be difficult
> to write to them individually.  I think this is pretty rare, nowadays.

For me this is the most convincing reason.  Basically, you very likely
are could change the intent of the original poster.  For example, say I
send an email from my work addr, but I want responses to go to my home
address.  There's no way for that to happen if the reply-to is munged.

On the other side of the issue, I guess one could consider that the list
is the actual poster since the original poster sent it to the list and
the list is then actually sending it to everyone else.  Damn, I'm
starting to convince myself. :)

For what it's worth, I think we've beat this one to death.  It's not an
issue I'll lose sleep over so I'd suggest a quick vote via email and go
with the crowd.

What do other's say?

> There is a second reason to have reply to sender--it might cut back on the
> number of stupid, off-topic, political discussions that drag on forever
> and don't contribute to the general Linux knowledge.  Even this worthy
> goal isn't sufficient to make me vote for reply to sender.

I agree this is not a sufficient reason for such behavior.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...