[ale] NIC problems

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Dec 5 08:23:13 EST 2002

Jeff Rose wrote:
> I'm having problems with my NIC, Netgear FA311.  Lately when I shut
> down, I see a line that says
>  kernel: eth0: Autonegotiation advertising 0x5e1 partner 0x00.
> Also found it in my /var/log/messages.  What exactly is this and is it
> something I should be worried about?

Hi Jeff,

   It shouldn't be anything to worry about.  That line is just information (not an error) normally seen during startup as the ethernet card is being initialized and prepares to auto-negotiate speed and duplex with whatever is on the other end of the cable.  It's possible the shutdown code is calling the same initialize code again to clear the connection.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith