[ale] DSL Router for Bellsouth

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Dec 4 12:04:43 EST 2002

Jeff,

Don't know about the pci modem.  I use an external Alcatel @home dsl modem
and in the past have set up the smoothwall box (or smoothie, as it's
called) with three nics, one for interfacing with the dsl modem, one with
my internal network, and one for my DMZ (web server, mail server, etc.).

Smoothwall handles all NAT and firewall stuff, and also has snort built in
for ids.  You might try popping out to their irc server (listed on the
site, I think it's irc.smoothwall.org, iirc) and asking on one of the
support channels.  Also, groups.google.com will never fail you.

One last avenue...depending on how long you've had the pci modem, you
could always call bellsouth and ask for a trade/upgrade to an external
modem.

imo, if someone out there has gotten the pci modem to work with linux, it
will work with smoothwall, which is just a minimalist linux install.

Another thing I liked about smoothwall is that it has built-in dyndns (and
other) clients.

Let me know if I can provide any other assistance.

John