[ale] DSL Router for Bellsouth

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 4 10:48:36 EST 2002

I have a USB PCI modem someone can have. I bought an
external Ethernet modem since the FreeBSD drivers weren't
quit stable.

- Ryan

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 10:45, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Your gonna be hosed on the PCI card modem. There are very few that are
> supported in Linux. Bellsouth was quite insistent for a while that they
> _had_ to install the internal cards. Now they ask what you want.
>
> On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 10:17, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > John,
> >
> >    I like this idea (more stuff to play with :). I started to look
> > through the documentation (I'm printing it as we speak).
> > I've got a basic configuration question. I have a PCI DSL
> > modem (isn't it just a NIC?). Would I just pop this DSL
> > modem in the smoothwall box as well as a NIC and then
> > the smoothwall box will act as a NAT and a firewall?
> > Has anyone done this with the Bellsouth DSL modem
> > (it's a PCI card)? (Sorry for the stupid questions).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > John Wells wrote:
> >
> > > Find a 486 and install smoothwall (smoothwall.org).  Cheaper than a
> > > router, and same functionality for the most part.
> > >
> > > John

> > --
> >
> > Jeff Layton
> > Senior Engineer
> > Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
> > Aerodynamics & CFD
> >
> > "Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins
> >
> > This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
> > email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
> > return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
> > email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
> > this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
> > Lockheed-Martin Corporation.

> James P. Kinney III   \Changing the mobile computing world/
> President and CEO      \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC \           at a time.          /
>
> GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S. Physics) <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210