[ale] recruiter salary questions

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Tue Dec 3 08:39:12 EST 2002

Bigg Head wrote:
> thanks for all the good info/opinions.
>
> actually, i didn't lie on my resume at all...only in
> vocal convos with the recruiter, which were then
> passed on to the employer.  i didn't really intend to
> lie about a job i was interested in.  it was a bad
> day, they were telling me about this position, and the
> question was thrown out.  for the hell of it, I bumped
> my salary 5k.  imagine my surprise when i was called
> for an interview, found i'm interested inthe job, and
> then offered the job. wow.
>
> i do regret the situation and would change it if i
> could, but meant no harm up front and don't really
> think i'd feel guilty at all from working there. the
> salary theyve offered is what it would take to get me
> there anyway (its in alabama), and it is the salary i
> would be making if there were no promotion freeze in
> place at my current place of bidness.
>
> as someone mentioned, i often get the feeling that
> companies and recruiters aren't always completely
> honest with candidates, as well.
>
> i know, i'm rationilizing.  but, i want the job and am
> worried that fessing up now will terminate the offer.
> i'd just hate for the issue to come up later.  that's
> what i'm REALLY worried about.

If you were talking to a headhunter, you should be ok - they have no
requirement to provide the company with anything you might have said.

If it was a company recruiter, you have a little more to worry about, but since
it was a conversation, and you didn't put the number on paper in a specific form
(such as "How much does your current job pay?"), then you are probably ok.  They
obviously like your qualifications, and your salary adjustment was not out of
their range, so you are probably ok.

When talking to headhunters, I feel no obligation to tell them what I make now,
but rather what I wish to make in the new job.  I got burned several years ago
when laid off - I gave my last salary, and since I was not working, I was
lowballed on the new salary.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.