[ale] recruiter salary questions

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Dec 3 07:39:14 EST 2002

Salary can be such a vague representation of compensation these days.  I
don't know why they ask for specific info.  I routinely go on interviews
to validate my own skillset, and have rarely been asked such a question.

As an employee of a company, my salary is just a part of my
compensation.  There's the range of benefits, retirement plan, stock
options.  I would even include issues such as flex scheduling,
telecommuting and virtual office opportunities.  I know that many
contracting firms offer some benefits as well, and all must be taken
into account.

If a recruiter did ask me my previous income, I would do as someone else
on the list suggested, indicate my expected compensation, not my current
one.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net