[ale] recruiter salary questions

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Dec 2 22:06:28 EST 2002

I tend to agree with Jeff on this one.  Most HR people check out what
you put on your resume.  Typically, after the "interview" the entity
that wants to hire you will give your resume to HR and ask them to
validate it.  If HR approves, you get the job.  They'll make a few phone
calls to your previous employers and ask them questions.  While they
can't say, "he was fired for accidentally port scanning a bank and the
FBI told us to fire him" [actually happened to me], they can say things
that are pseudo-negative to indicate that you left on terms that weren't
your own.  As for the salary, they typically don't say the "exact"
salary that you were making, but they usually verify the range.  At my
last job I was hired at 50k with a bump to 55k after a 6 month "trial
period".  I worked there for less than 6 months (the company was bought
out).  I started my new job at more than 55k because the previous
employer couldn't provide details about my salary and could only verify
a range (aka, "Was mister Bergeron employed with you at between 50 to
55k ?).  They responded with a "yaz" and as such I was able to work up
to my current payrate.  I don't know the _exact_ range that our HR
people asked, but I know that they can't (or aren't supposed to - for
legal reasons [slander?]) ask a specific number.  Regardless, lying on
your resume would inevitably come back to haunt you.  If for no other
reason than the presumed guilt that would be hanging over your head the
entire duration of your employment.  Lying on your resume is a
terminable offense (unless I'm mistaken).

-CB