[ale] recruiter salary questions

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Mon Dec 2 16:59:05 EST 2002

I don't think lying is ever justified. Of course - you also don't have to answer the question. My usual
response is "I'm looking to make $x" - ie - answer another question. If they're insistent than I will tell
them that I make "between $x & $y inclusive of bonuses and stock options, etc". If they are more
insistent then tell them this isn't information you typically just hand out and ask what their
purpose/use of this information will be. If they give you a good reason then give them an answer
that meets that goal - otherwise tell them that you feel you've provided them with information that
should be satisfactory for their purposes already.

Now - as someone who has hired many people before - I will give you one good reason to ask for
this information: I need to know what my potential employee is able to live on comfortably. It raises a
red flag to me when someone is looking to take a significant pay cut unless they can give me some
compelling reason and convince me that it isn't going to be a significant hardship on them. If I am
not satisfied then I will not hire that person - even if they're the most highly qualified. It may sound
harsh but my experience is that people will be less committed to their job and will instantly be
looking to jump ship as soon as someone offers them more money.

The fact is that when a company has made a decision to hire, they have budgeted an amount to
pay. A manager isn't looking to cut down 10 - 30% of that figure - they're looking for the best person
they can get and don't mind spending the money. What you have to watch out for are the HR idiots
and head hunters who make their money by taking their cut off the top. They will try to talk you
down and argue price with you. I've never had a hiring manager argue price with me nor have I
ever done this with a potential employee. Its always been we both state our expectations and
quickly agree on a point where we can meet.

	Good luck,

		Ben Scherrey