[ale] IRC and directory structure questions

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Dec 2 16:41:18 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:26, Matthew Brown wrote:
> 1.    Do any of you IRC much?  Where is a good place to go for this -
> that doesn't have all the porn/file sharing/etc.  I am mainly interested
> in technical IRC.

Most all of the IRC networks (DALnet, EFnet, Undernet, etc) have lots of
tech channels; let your IRC client's channel search capabilty help you
out.  The channel name #linuxhelp seems to be pretty much universal.

> 2.    Is there an accepted standard for laying out files in a directory
> structure?  For example, say I have a .tar.gz file I want to download.
> It is, say, vmware-yada-yada.tar.gz.  Where would you put it?  ~/...?
> Where do you install it to?    /usr/...?

Since you generally don't need the contents of those tarballs lying
around when you're done with them, /tmp or ~/tmp would be just fine.  I
usually don't put anything in /usr myself, but allow "make install" to
do that while root.  Exceptions would be when I want to take some binary
and stick it in /usr/local or, when I want to build a new kernel, I'll
place the tarball in /usr/src.

> 3.    Now let's talk about the actual data files for something like
> vmware...  These would need to be shared for many users.  Would it go
> under /opt/... or /var/...?

Sounds like a job for /var. On big machines, one would typically set up
/var's RAID array for fast read-write; on smaller non-raid machines, one
would make it the fastest drive, with the biggest internal buffer, most
physical heads, etc.

Although, if you intend for this to be a multiuser system with vmware as
its primary mission in life, you might want to make a separate top-tier
mount point and disk array just for that (or, put the mount point under
/var instead for) and let /var (or the rest of /var) do the typical /var
stuff.

- Jeff