[ale] IRC and directory structure questions

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.com
Mon Dec 2 16:26:26 EST 2002

1.
Do any of you IRC much?  Where is a good place to go for this - that
doesn't have all the porn/file sharing/etc.  I am mainly interested in
technical IRC.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
2.
Is there an accepted standard for laying out files in a directory
structure?  For example, say I have a .tar.gz file I want to
download.  It is, say, vmware-yada-yada.tar.gz.  Where would you put
it?  ~/...?   Where do you install it to?
/usr/...?
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
3.
Now let's talk about the actual data files for something like vmware...
These would need to be shared for many users.  Would it go under /opt/...
or /var/...<FONT face=Arial
size=2>?
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
Coming from the
Windows background, this issue has always confused me.  I suppose I
could have created my own set of directories, but that would create more
mayhem!

Hope you're having a great
day!

Best regards,