[ale] RedHat 8.0 praise

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Mon Dec 2 15:52:16 EST 2002

Well, and I can't believe I am about to say this as I have been a big
RedHat Supporter, I am probably the most unhappy with a RedHat release at
8.0 as with any release they have ever had. I have had some issues with the
main thing I now use RedHat for and that is Dedicated Gaming servers. I was
also not impressed with the fact that a custom install was much more, IMHO,
"restricted". I like to trim the intstalls down to the bare minimum
packages needed to run the apps I will add after intstall and it seemed to
me that this was a little more compicated than with 7.3. Now with regards
to a desktop environment, I will admit that the look is pleasing and the
ability to find apps is more intuitive. However for my servers I am going
back to 7.3 for now and just patch the apps I need up to current status.
Also I have noticed that CPU utilization is higher on systems running
comparable services with 8.0 vs 7.3 and I have already had one 8.0 system
die, not sure yet what exactly went wrong as I have not picked the box up
yet. Maybe OS related maybe not, the system will cease to provide any
services but you can ping the Ethernet interface. Hmmmm. Anyway, I am sure
in a lot of ways it is a great release, but I have had some issues with it
and I normally love each release as it has become available.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                      "Matthew Brown"
                      <matthew.brown at co        To:       <ale at ale.org>
                      rdata.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [ale] RedHat 8.0 praise
                      ale-admin at ale.org

                      12/02/2002 03:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ale

Eric Anderson talked me into getting RH 8.0 and loading it.  Wow!  This is
really nice stuff.  The UI is very unified, clean and understandable, for
the first time I think.  We have achieved desktop readiness - now for those
droves of end-user apps!

Hope you're having a great day!

Best regards,
Matthew Brown, President