[ale] RedHat Exploring Desktop Edition

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Aug 31 10:48:18 EDT 2002

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Irv Mullins wrote:

> On Saturday 31 August 2002 09:15 am, you wrote:
> > RedHat is seeing that enterprises are more and more bothered by the new
> > licensing terms for Windows and is exploring the idea of offering a version
> > of Linux aimed purely at desktop users. The link is here:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26873.html
>
> It also mentions that they're considering subscription-based pricing.
> Is that a good idea?

This product, when it ships, will be the desktop component to go along with
Red Hat Advanced Server.  RHAS is also subscription-based, and sells quite
well.  The subscription for it is for the support contract built into the
software, not for the software itself.  The same will be true for the
Advanced Desktop -- it's targeted at the desktops of the same Fortune 500
companies who are currently running RHAS and have been asking RH for a
similarly supported Linux desktop.  It's not intended for the consumer
download / buy in CompUSA "we don't want any / much support" market.

later,
chris

---