[ale] gimp

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 31 10:09:18 EDT 2002

Jordi S. Bunster wrote:
>>And to the OP: why would anyone want to serve files in xcf format, since they
>>are 6 to 8 times larger than the same file in jpg ( or 3 x the size of gif) ?
>

>  From the NOP: Because they're a lossless format, and contain the layer information intact, as well as many other GIMP related info.
>
> If you're giving it as art, it would be nice to put a thumbnail as png linking to the xcf.

Valid point, but for displaying in a browser, you want a different
format, png or jpg.  xcf was never intended for such use and there will
likely not be support for it in browsers.  It's like trying to run c
source code.  It's not intended to run, it's intended to be compiled and
the generated binary run.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---