[ale] Netscape 7.0 for Linux

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 30 20:28:38 EDT 2002

I've been running it for a couple of days now and I have to say I like it. It
has nearly all of the features of Mozilla and a few that Mozilla doesn't
have. The one thing it's missing is a pop-up killer like the one built into
Mozilla. But you can pick one up from ufaq.org. It features a full
implementation of P3P cookie screening that lets you accept or reject cookies
based on a site's privacy policy (or lack of one). This is much more granular
than what Mozilla offers. It has an improved button for accessing the sidebar
and there is now a Linux site that you can access through the sidebar,
linuxfreak.org. It comes with an IM client that can access AOL or ICQ. It
lets you search on any term you see in a Web page by highlighting term. It's
been very stable for me, so far. The only thing that hangs it up is a bug
still present in Mozilla. If something is already using the audio device and
you go to a Web site that has a Flash ad requiring the audio device, Netscape
will hang and you have to kill the process at the terminal. This bothers me a
lot, because I like to listen to news in Real Audio while I am looking at the
Web. And I still don't use the Netscape news client, because it is really
lacking in features I need. But this is a great browser. It may help Netscape
to regain some market share. But that's a big "may" when Microsoft has
something like 90% of the market.

---