[ale] Remote X (is a secure Full X session possible?)

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Fri Aug 30 04:31:29 EDT 2002

Mike Panetta wrote:
> Does anyone know how to do something like this, but instead of
> forwarding just a single xterm over ssh, forward an entire 'X -query
> [servername]' type session over ssh?  I would like to figure out how to
> do a secure remote X session (ala XDM or rather GDM) via ssh or some
> other secure means.

For the record....

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html

2.2. Security Reminder

Using XDMCP is inherently insecure, therefore, most of the distributions shipped as it's XDMCP default turned off. If you must use XDMCP, be sure to use it only in a trusted networks, such as corporate network within a firewall. Unfortunately, XDMCP uses UDP, not TCP, therefore, it is not natively able to use it with SSH. To secure the connection with SSH, the technique is called X11 TCP/IP Port Forwarding. Check this Why Port Forwarding? site and the Resources area for additional HOW-TO information. If you would like to experiment this, I have added a new section below to show you the basic idea of how it works, and I am leaving the more advanced way of
running it to other experts and/or HOWTOs.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith

---