[ale] Best base install

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Thu Aug 29 21:57:39 EDT 2002

Greg,

Slackware has several different installation methods from which to choose,
and I'm betting "expert" is what you're looking for.

The "expert" mode lets you control which packages get installed, down to
every single package. While this takes longer than the "Full" method, this
gives you *exact* control as to what gets intalled on your system, because
for every package on the CD, it will prompt you "Install package foo?"

The reason it takes so long is because you're prompted whether you want to
install every last package. If I remember corretly, it will automatically
install packages marked "required", and prompt you for the rest. It marks
these as "optional" or "recommended".

There's also a "menu" mode that allows you to select groups of packages,
but the "expert" mode is more precice.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Thus Spake "Greg" <runman at telocity.com>:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:26:37 -0400

> 	Ok, after spending time cleaning out the crap from Red Hat 7.3 and
> 	Suse's
> 8.0 (and no, I have not tried the "barebones" install - it is next on my
> list) can anyone tell me of a distro that gives more control over a base
> install ?  And preferable has packages of just that, i.e. a "Database"
> package won't have X crap or games in it, just databases.
>
> 	I suspect Gentoo is done this way.  I don't know about Slackware
> 	and
> Debian, so, .... can any users of these two distros enlighten me ? (I
> have already gone past Mandrake - just another bloatware distro).
>
> TIA
> Greg C.
>

> ---
> should be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

---