[ale] gentoo term question

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Aug 29 16:44:45 EDT 2002

Interrupting waaaay out of my league here, but ...

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:18:28PM -0600, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:

> > > I just saw a message go by on the kernelnewbies list to
> > > the effect of, "nothing uses termcap anymore, you need
> > > to install and/or update terminfo instead."

The terminfo files seem to be a part of ncurses these days.

> > I'm thinking this might be a USE flag issue (when you emerged vi, you didn't
> > have a necessaary USE flag set), but didn't see one that jumps out at me as
> > the one you would need.
> >
> > The only other thing I can think of, is everyone on the list that I have
> > seen talking about vi, actually emerged vim.
>
> The problem with that is that vim brings in about 1/2GB of
> X junk.

Does it *have* to? I know that vim has the GUI component (gvim), and I
think there's still a directive in the CLI to attempt to change an xterm's
window title, but would there be a way to emerge vim w/o compiling the
X-dependent stuff? Just wondering.

> I emerged "vile", which works for me no trouble, and is
> only the one package, no dependencies.

---