[ale] Remote X

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 23:09:26 EDT 2002

"Jordi S. Bunster" wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:36:09PM -0400, David Corbin wrote:
>
> > 3) ssh Desktop
>
> You have to activate ssh X forwarding in the server's (Desktop) config
> file, and use a command line option in the ssh client.
>
> I think.

Only if you want the X session to be tunnelled within the
ssh session. If you don't care about that (and on his own
private LAN, David probably doesn't), you can just
"export DISPLAY=<x-server-host>:<display#>.<screen#>" and
run programs. That's the way it was done for countless
millennia before ssh existed.

There are two X authentication methods, "xhost" and
"xauth". Possibly your laptop is configured for xauth.
I can't tell you any more than that, since I've never
used xauth, but it's worth a look.

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me

---