[ale] Remote X

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Wed Aug 28 21:36:09 EDT 2002

I have two Debian systems (Desktop and Laptop, for the purposes of this
discussion).  I would like to configure Laptop so that it boots up and
acts like an X terminal logging in and running on Desktop.  I don't mean
just run remote systems, I mean I'm never log in to my client. I plan on
setting this up for a particular runlevel

The first step to me, is to get remote (Desktop) X clients to run on my
Laptop X server.  I'm having problems.

1) login to Laptop
2) xhost +Desktop
3) ssh Desktop
4) export DISPLAY=Laptop:0.0
5) xterm &

I would think this would show me new xterm window on Laptop, for the
user logged into Desktop.  But it doesn't.  It gives me an error saying
it can't open up the display (exact wording is not available right now,
but I *think* it cam from lib/xt.

Suggestions?

Can anyone on point me at a good tutorial/howto on this subject?

Thanks.
David

P.S. For the record, I'm sure it's not a IP/DNS problem.  I've tried it
using all IP addresses, and I've had no other networking problems.

---