[ale] Slackware 8.1 upgrade...

William Wylde dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 28 15:04:04 EDT 2002

I did it by the "UPGRADE.TXT" instructions in the .iso image root
directory.  Didn't have to fool with any floppies, didn't have to burn a
CD- just mounted the .iso on a  tmp directory under /home and used the
pkgtool to do the work.  You have to install everything 2 times (and the
easiest way is to do a full-wildcard install), and remove the 7.1
packages between (via a series of wildcards given to the pkgtool, once
again), and edit lilo.conf to point to /boot/vmlinuz instead of
/vmlinuz, then a a few new conf files under /etc to edit and move over
the old files (and not too many of those, and thoughtfully added with a
.new extension) but then you're good to go!

It's sweet!  I'm very impressed so far...

---