[ale] Gentoo

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Mon Aug 26 11:18:46 EDT 2002

I am working thru an install as well.  This is on new hardware for me.
:-)   So everything is screaming fast!

I am very near the end of doing a stage 3 tarball install.  I haven't
compiled a kernel in years so knowing what to pick and what to leave out
is guesswork to me.  Two options having to do with experimental code for
devices I thought I might acquire down the  road actually errored out on
me.  So I went back to make menuconfig and deleted those modules from my
selections.  The lack of KDE artsd support worries me since I am
comfortable with KDE now and was just expecting that to work.  I was
also hoping for a way of selecting packages to install.  This distro may
not be for me since I probably will need more of what Debian offers.  I
am going to finish the install and see what happens.

By the way, there is a hpt37x2.o driver for the Highpoint 372 onboard
Raid chipset available from the companies website.  I will be installing
that to setup mirrored drives.  I was hoping it might be in the Gentoo
tree but I didn't see it supported in the make menuconfig options.  I
like optimizing all software for the hardware so may stick with this
after all.  I'll post any news.
Dow

PS.  Hardware is AMD XP1800 on Abit KR-7xxx RAID MB, 512Gb RAM, dual
60Gb drives, DVD ROM, SBLive!, dual 17"monitors, Geforce II AGP, and TNT
PCI video cards, Zalman CPU heatsink.  Going to have fun with two displays!

Geoffrey wrote:

> Well, I figured I can boot Tom's r/b in 8 meg, so I should be able to
> boot the gentoo cd with 32mb, then again I don't know what all gentoo
> is trying to do.  I've fired this thing up and it's cooking now.
> We'll see how it goes.
>
> What I did was boot from Tom's r/b.  But for some reason, I couldn't
> mount the bloody cdrom.  Will boot from it, but not mount it, brother.
> So, I copied the stage1 stuff to another machine and wget'd from
> there.  I then downloaded the portage stuff to the same machine and
> wget'd it as well.  It's now 'cooking' so I'll update the list as
> things move along.  Probably won't be till tomorrow. :)

---