[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 26 11:02:01 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

[scissors of brevity]

> I've not dealt with the cable folks, so I don't know about this issue.
> Seems to me, network cards DO go bad, and you should be able to contact
> them, indicating such an occurance and have them update the mac info.
>
> Then again, I've seen folks post that this has a been a problem.

I found that if I switched the MAC card plugged into my cable
modem, it would choke and I'd have to call the cable provider
and have them reset it. Then I discovered the following
procedure:

(1) Power down the cable modem, and *unplug* it from line
power. Leave it that way for at least two minutes.

(2) Unplug the cable from the old NIC, plug into the
new one.

(3) Power up the cable modem.

This seems to make the modem forget about which MAC address
it was talking to, and I've moved it between routers
a couple of times without having to deal with the cable
provider. Of course, YMMV.

When I lived in LaGrange, I had Charter cable IP service,
and it was pretty good. There were a couple of day-long
outages, but in general it was very reliable. Now I'm
on Time-Warner RoadRunner in El Paso, and it's extremely
reliable - in the past two years I've had maybe a total
of 10 hours of downtime. But they don't let you run
servers, and technically you're not allowed to have
a router and multiple boxes on your end, either. But
of course there's no way they can know, unless of
course the Bush administration's TIPS program gets
up and running...

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me

---