[ale] home networking difficulties

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 26 10:43:39 EDT 2002

Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> Just an update for those who have been following along.
>
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card.
>  Didn't work.
>
> I did some more research and discovered that there was
> a Windows ME networking bug (imagine that, a bug in an
> M$ operating system) which I fixed by hacking the
> registry and reinstalling the vnetbios.vxd virtual
> device driver.  This didn't help either.
>
> I know this is a windows problem now, but does anybody
> have any ideas?

This is just a sacrifice-a-young-goat kind of idea,
but if it's a PCI network card, you might try de-installing
the driver, moving the card to a different PCI slot,
and then rebooting and letting the Winblows auto-detection
junk prompt you to re-install the driver. I seem to
remember that worked for me once.

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me

---