[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Mon Aug 26 09:30:46 EDT 2002

Just an update for those who have been following along.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card.
 Didn't work.

I did some more research and discovered that there was
a Windows ME networking bug (imagine that, a bug in an
M$ operating system) which I fixed by hacking the
registry and reinstalling the vnetbios.vxd virtual
device driver.  This didn't help either.

I know this is a windows problem now, but does anybody
have any ideas?

Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> We have some success.  And I can say, unequivocally,
and without any
> reasonable doubt....My networking difficulties lie
entirely at the feet
> of Bill Gates.  It's Window's fault.
>
> You see, I realized just today, that a while back I
had made the windows
> box a dual boot.  However, since X was not playing
nice with my vid
> card, and about that time, I got my dedicated tux
box, I totally forgot.

> Anyway, with linux up both machines, they network
just fine.  Even with
> ipchains running on the router box, no problems at
all.

href="http://mail.directvinternet.com//jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml</a> for more
> info. Problems should be
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.