[ale] OT- Transition to fast access

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Mon Aug 26 09:14:27 EDT 2002

my experience with cable (Charter in Athens, and AT&T BB in Atlanta) has
been hit and miss.  i had no problems with Charter, but my AT&T would go
down a day at a time in the 1 month I had the service.  the days it did
work, it was FAST, though.  it was faster than my Bellsouth DSL (and i'm
close to my CO), even at the peak times.  with AT&T, I know they make you
give them your MAC address, so I might wait until I got the linksys to give
them your MAC.

look @ the other routers, also.  i am unhappy with the performance of my
Linksys BEFSR41.  It needed resetting a lot for some reason (firmware
1.42.3) and the surfing is faster with the Linux router (using BEFSR41 as
switch only).  I think the firewall is basically non-existent on the
BEFSR41, also.  it seems real susceptible to DOS and other attacks.  the
1.42.7

http://www.firewallguide.com/hardware.htm
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1327/BroadbandRouters.pdf

Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Routers May Allow Remote Administration Even
When This Feature is Disabled
http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2002/Jun/1004604.html

DOWN with dial-up!  :)

Good luck,