[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 26 08:48:36 EDT 2002

That was my thought.  I'm going to setup a web page with my thoughts on how
to design this relatively simple system.  I think I can design the server
(Dell, HP, PenguinComputing) with ease, as long as it has redundant
everything, the RDBMS backend, and a demo front end using PHP+APACHE+ZOPE.

I really think this could be, and should be, an open-source project/product.

I could deploy the demo-front end and database with bogus data in a very
short time, but would need to have some help testing it for scalability.

A second point: This system (Systems and database administration) should be
as automated as possible.

Getting the back-end up and running, and a demo site should be a
breeze.  The hard part is determining what kind of information needs to be
collected and tracked, and whether or not each department has different
requirements.

At 08:49 PM 8/25/2002 -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>Now that my stomach is REALLY churning after reading that...
>
>Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but don't they just need a readily accessable
>database system with a quick client interface so that the leact trained
>newbie can punch up a kids name or SSN and get their case file?!?!
>
><cue superhero theme music> This sounds like a job for PenguinMan! <cue
>flashing lights and patriotic music>

> > The article online:
> >
> > http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0802/25computer.html
> >
> > --