[ale] Fw: [LeapList]Lindows needs your help!

H. Bieber habieb at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 22 22:33:35 EDT 2002

I am posting this because I thought the ALE group might be interested in helping out. The message is from a LUG in Central Florida.

Harold

-- BEGIN included message

To: leaplist at lists.leap-cf.org
Subject: [LeapList]Lindows needs your help!
From: Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:37:36 -0400
Cc: legal at lindows.com
Sender: leaplist-admin at lists.leap-cf.org

Hi all,

When hassled by M$, the easy thing for Lindows to do would have been to
quietly change their name. But they hung tough, and now the very Windows
trademark is in question.

They need our help. To quote from
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,468924,00.asp:

- - - - - - - - Start ExtremeTech Quote - - - - - - - - -
""Many people have congratulated us, prematurely, on our victory." Robertson
wrote. "While the judicial system did block their request to shut us down, a
trial is looming for April 2003. At that time, the judge (or jury) will
decide whether Microsoft has a valid trademark for the word 'windows' and
whether the Lindows.com name is confusing. In the interim, we're moving
through the legal process where Microsoft is demanding, as part of the
discovery process, everything from our business plan to our list of partner
companies."

Robertson said the legal burdens of trying to defend against Microsoft were
difficult for a company with only 39 employees. Lindows is attempting to show
that the term "Windows" has been in general use for many years before
Microsoft applied for its copyright.

"If you have magazine or newspaper articles, academic papers, journal
articles, product manuals, advertisements, textbooks, dictionaries, or
anything else that uses the terms, we'd like to hear from you," Robertson
said, appealing to the company's customer base. "We'd also like to hear from
anyone who had personal experience in the industry during those early years
and can recall the history of the early windowing products such as Xerox's
Star, VisiCorp's VisiOn, Apple's Lisa, Digital Research's GEM, Quarterdeck's
DesQ, IBM's TopView, and others.""
- - - - - - - - End ExtremeTech Quote - - - - - - - - -

I think we all have an idea what Microsoft will do with Lindows' business
plan and partner list, and I doubt it has anything to do with this lawsuit.
If anybody can get their hands on anything mentioned above, please let
Lindows know about it. They have a special email address for legal stuff:
legal at lindows.com.

This company might have only 39 employees, but they have the heart of a giant.

SteveT

-- END included message

---