[ale] Lessons learned with rm

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 22 18:37:39 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:
> [...]

The only thing I ever found was not promising, a reference to why the
above tool does NOT work on ext3:

  In general, ext2 and ext3 are compatible file systems: You can mount
an ext3 fs as ext2 and even use the ext2 low level utilities like
debugfs. However, ext3 behaves in a different manner in one crucial
point: If a file is deleted, its inode data are removed, too.
Especially, the list of data blocks is lost; so it is not possible to
recover any deleted file.

http://e2undel.sourceforge.net/usage.html

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---