[ale] Linux firewalls with a twist

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 22 14:38:17 EDT 2002

Jonathan Glass wrote:

> Has anyone tried this yet?  It looks like fun...  A firewall with no
> processes running

Did it years ago. Then decided that there was no point in
turning a perfectly good PC into a dedicated embedded system :-)
Now I've got one of those little LinkSys boxes which does
essentially the same thing (it's a box that routes and
filters packets with no userland component), and all my
PCs are doing useful stuff like having new Linux distros
installed on them every few days :-)

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me

---