[ale] home networking difficulties

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Thu Aug 22 07:36:52 EDT 2002

Hi everybody,

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to
offer advice to my problem.  It seems that what I am
dealing with is not an obvious issue.

after looking over this thread at the archives
(http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2002-08/threads.html) I have some observations and hypotheses.

1.  The hardware is working, at least to some degree.
arp apprear to work fine (according to the tcpdump and
windump outputs), it's icmp that is not working.

2. I have sent and recieved icmp packets from the linux
box in the past.  So, although I initially thought that
maybe linux was blocking ping responses, I am thinking
that's a long shot now.

3. I have had trouble with icmp on the windows box
before.  I remembered this recently.  When I first got
broadband (and was only running windows) I tried to get
a friend to ping me with no luck.  I can ping myself
(192.168.1.2) internally, however.

4. The Windows firewall is off.  Although it is still
installed, I have removed it from the startup routine.

I am starting to think this is a Windows problem.  Like
some kind of "stealth mode" where it ignores icmp
packets.  I could find nothing about this on the net,
unfortunately.  And of course this is just a hypothesis.

On Fri, 16 August 2002, "Andrew Grimmke" wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I need some help or suggestions for getting my home
> network up and running.  Here are some details:
>
> - The network has the following topology: DSL
(telocity
> gateway [dsl modem]) -> (1)Linux Box -> 5 Port
Switch
> -> (2)Windows Box (plus others to be added later).
>
> - The OSes are (1) Redhat 7.3 (2) Windows ME (3)
Vector
> Linux 2.0.
>
> - All nic cards work and seem to be configured
properly.

> - The DSL provides a static IP address and presently
> works fine on box 1
>
> - The internal network is your typical class C
> (192.168.1.X).  I am not using DHCP.  I have
configured
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 adding the
> IP.
>
> - I have checked /etc/sysconfig/network to ensure that
> networking and IP forwarding are on.
>
> - I edited /etc/sysctl.conf to make sure it includes
> the lines net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 and
> net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag = 1 (this was suggested in
> the ldp how-to)
>
> - I restarted the network with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network
> restart
>
> - On the windows machine, I went to control panel >
> network and selected tcp/ip netwoking interface and
> properties.  In this dialog box I added the internal
> network card from box 1 (192.168.1.1) as the gateway,
> assigned the ip 192.168.1.2, and put in my ISPs domain
> and dns server IPs.
>
> - I try to ping from box 2 to 1.  Timeout.
>
> - I try to ping from 1 to 2.  6 packet sent 0
recieved.

> - This is interesting.  If I have my old windows
> software firewall active when I attempt to ping from 1
> to 2, I get a popup "unauthorized ICMP attempt
from

1

href="http://mail.directvinternet.com//jump/http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml">http://www.ale.org/mailing-lists.shtml</a> for more
> info. Problems should be