[ale] clock misset on boot

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 21 21:32:34 EDT 2002

It gets them from /etc/sysconfig/clock! Mine is below:

ZONE="America/New_York"
UTC=true
ARC=false

The rc.sysinit script loads values from /etc/sysconfig/clock, then looks
for old style format as $CLOCKMODE values. Since it finds to CLOCKMODE
variable, it uses the values for UTC and ARC from clock.

You want UTC. It used to be called GMT. You also need a ZONE variable to
set the display offset correctly. It will keep time in UTC and translate
for display to local time. That avoids having to explicitly handle stuff
like Daylight Savings Time (can we PLEASE retire that?!).

Try adding my ZONE variable and reboot.

It will probably come up OK. Dual boots are a different problem.
Win9x/NT use local time in bios. Win2k/XP can handle UTC (as they
should). There may be a win98 patch that fixed this. Not sure though.