[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 21 09:43:08 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 08:37 am, you wrote:

> Unless people are running Pentium 150s or something I'd recommend a real
> desktop ENVIRONMENT like GNOME or (my preference) KDE instead of just a
> window manager like IceWM. These are windows users who are going to want
> things like a control panel, a menu panel, icons on the desktop, things
> they are used to.

Agreed. Any of the 'lightweight' window managers are going to be an
immediate and final turnoff for people who are used to Windows.
They will refuse to use them, your cause is lost.
KDE is more likely to be accepted, but you'll still get complaints.

> The reason I prefer KDE over GNOME is because it feels a lot more
> finished. I can go to ONE place in KDE and change everything a _user_
> would want to change like fonts, background, sounds, screensaver and other
> more advanced things.

You can use this as a selling point. Users will be impressed with their
ability to customize things. The only other thing they will care about
is that Linux may crash less often than Windows.  Anything else, no mater
how real, will be unimportant.

Regards
Irv

---