[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users? (fwd)

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 21 09:18:26 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 12:51:28PM +0000, tslane at attbi.com wrote:

> As most (53 of 55) users here are strictly Windows users, I'd like hear
> some opinions on what the best desktop env./distro is for *complete*
> Linux/Unix newbies.  What's the most stable?  Easiest to use?  Most
> intuitive?

Want to know, seriously?

IMHO, is the one the sysadmin sets up. You could even pick
Gentoo/Slack/OpenBSD, as long as you don't disclose the root password
and set up things like KDE or Gnome and configure every bit in the
system, so that the user only has to, hemm, use the thing.

If they have their LAN connection set up, they're able to open the
applications they need and they can browse the web and read their SPAM,
and jam the printer, what do they need a newbie distro for? Is any of
them actually installing sound cards on their machines, or trying to
switch to XFS instead of ext3? The only thing you're going to get out of
those "newbie" software distributions is bloat, and less use of your own
resources.

The above said, you'll be maintaining the workstations, and *that* can
be different from one distribution to another. So that might be a
valid concern when choosing a distro.

My 2 cents, as you say in here. :)

 -- Jsb

---