[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Wed Aug 21 08:16:50 EDT 2002

Depends:

If you are the sysadmin, I would use Gentoo.  The installation,
configuration and setup are not nearly as 'easy' as the other mainstream
distros, but once its up and running, its more stable and far easier to
maintain.

Also, again, I *highly* recommend setting up a little pilot LTSP setup, and
show him how fast the workstations are, and then explain to him how much
easier it will be to maintain one or two servers, as opposed to 53
individual workstations.

As for the Desktop environment, again in my opinion, simpler is better - I
really like IceWM.  It is extraordinarily fast, very stable, simple to
configure, and *very* easy on the resources.  Running IceWM instead of KDE,
you'd have no problem with running all 53 workstations off of one server.

The *only* problem here is there is no ebuild for LTSP yet, so you'd have to
do some fiddling to make it work.

Just my opinion...

Charles

---