[ale] great digital camera?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 19 11:16:31 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Irv Mullins wrote:

> > On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 12:03, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > > I am looking for a good digital camera that is compatible with Linux. I
> > > guess my resolution should be 800x600. I just want to take snapshots -
> > > like a 35mm camera or disposable camera would. Can anyone recommend a
> > > nice camera?
>
> My question is, short of the $5,000 professional Nikon class, do any digital
> cameras produce results as good as can be gotten from a same-priced
> conventional camera?
<<snip>>

<Warning> This is an opinionated response without proper professional
standing or good data </Warning>

If you are concerned with the quality of the final image, examined under
magnification by trained and experienced individuals, I doubt that digital
technology will ever catch completely up with film. Film has a _much_
higher resolution I've been told, and can be scaled up much easier. Plus,
my impression of prices has been that the upfront cost of digital will be
about x2 the cost of film. Operating costs for digital do seem to be lower
however. (Maybe because I don't print any but the very best/most
meaningful, and just toss the others on a hard disk "in case".)

That said, you can get very servicable and attractive pictures printed
even from the megapixel cameras.

Hope this helps, and even more I hope this made some sense.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ingnorance
                   Author Unknown