[ale] Gentoo Linux install question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Aug 19 07:11:27 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:
> [...]

I had not rebooted, I went to another vt to view the available space.
One thing I did not do though was check inodes.  It could be I'm running
out of inodes if it's creating a large number of files.  I've decided to
move to a more robust machine for my first gentoo effort.

FYI, for you Slackware pundits, I did a Slack 8.0 install on that
machine and it's up and running.  Can't beat Slack for small footprint
installs and low end architecture.

> Bottom line - The hard disk requirements were told to me to be a *minimum*
> of 1GB free space.  Now, this was on a single partition installation, and I
> am waiting on something a bit more definitive on requirements for specific
> directories like /tmp, /usr and /var, but these are the three directories
> that the requirements are split between.
>
> Anyway, I would say that this is, in fact, almost certainly your problem.

I'll be moving to a machine that has at least 1gig drive and more memory.

>>Sure, and that was my intent.  I'd like to take
>>advantage of some older hardware, and what better
>>way then a custom compiled solution.  I don't
>>care if the bloody thing takes a week to install.
>

> Understood.  A bigger drive, and I think you'd still be able to install it
> with 32MB of RAM.  I'd put it on a UPS though, if I were you - it'd really
> suck to get 4 days into an install and have to start over because of a power
> glitch.

I might give it a spin with the 32 mb then.  All my machines are on ups. :)

>>>One thing though - if you successfully install
>>>Gentoo, at least you know your hardware is good,
>>>cause if there are *any* weaknesses, these heavy
>>>source compiles will find them.
>>

>>Yeah, and that's where I think I might be with this
>>box. :(
>

> I don't know... it might be worth one more try if you have a bigger drive
> laying around... up to you though.
>
> At least you're not getting so frustrated that you're giving up completely.

Give up?  What does that mean???? :)  I appreciate your time and assistance.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---